The Adams Microfabrication Facility, located on the first floor of the Multidisciplinary Research Building on KU's west campus, consists of 2,000 ft2 of cleanroom space, 550 ft2 of “dirty” space for manufacturing and machining, and 300 ft2 of office space. The facility provides capabilities for photolithography, nano-imprint lithography, plasma (dry) etching, wet etching, metal and dielectric material thin film deposition, electron microscopy, ellipsometry, device characterization, laser ablation and engraving, 3D printing, hot embossing, and CNC machining. In addition, the facility has numerous microscopes for general inspection, ovens and furnaces, a dedicated gas storage room with safety cabinets, 4N house nitrogen in each room, ultrapure water, dedicated process fume hoods and filtered lighting for photolithography.
This facility is under the direction of Drs. Susan Lunte and Karen Nordheden. Services and usage of the facility are available to researchers from all Kansas universities. Training is provided to new investigators and graduate students in the use of microfabrication procedures and equipment. In addition, researchers from both non-Kansas academic and private industry institutions may contract with the facility for consultation and services. For more information, please contact the facility director, Ryan Grigsby, by email or by phone at 785-864-1918.
Briefly, the microfabrication facility cleanroom suite consists of:
- Class 7 Gowning Vestibule
- Class 5 Photolithography Room with a UV flood source and mask aligner, a spin coater, two 10" hot plates, an HMDS vacuum oven, and a gravity oven
- Class 5 Evaluation Room with an SEM, ellipsometer, stylus profilometer, probe station and a camera-equipped microscope
- Class 6 Deposition Room with sputterers, e-beam evaporator, PECVD and a plasma cleaner
- Class 6 room for DRIE Plasma Etching and Nano-Imprint Lithography
- Class 6 Wet Lab with chemical storage, ultrapure water, stylus profilometer, plasma reactor, ovens and furnaces, microscopes, four fume hoods and a Class 5 PDMS device assembly area
- Class 7 Mechanical Room with compressed gas storage and equipment roughing pumps
- Manufacturing Space (non-controlled environment) with hydraulic presses for hot embossing, a 3-D printer, CO2 engraver, polisher, and a solder station
- Machine Shop (non-controlled environment) with a CNC mill, drill press, table saw, band saw, media blasting station and a Work Bench with a basic assortment of hand tools
Select the Equipment tab above for details on the available fabrication equipment in the cleanroom and support spaces. Select the Rates & Fees tab for an explanation of hourly rates and billing. Select the Resources tab for SOPs, Equipment Manuals, Datasheets and Links. Select the Galleries tab to virtually explore the facility. Select the Contact tab to find information on our staff and location, or to submit a Service Request.